Friday, December 19, 2008

Labor of Love

Hooray! I finally finished Marina's Christmas present- and just barely in time. About 11 weeks ago, my dear friend Rebecca talked us all into making ABC Quiet Books for our kids. "It will just take 30 minutes a page," she promised. I did the math and thirteen hours sounded like a long time, but probably worth it for a super cute quiet book. Plus every page is interactive with some fun activities that will hopefully help Marina sit on my lap for a few extra minutes at church.
Well, 11 weeks and hundreds of work hours later... the book is finally done. We went a little above and beyond the pattern's instructions, choosing coordinating background fabrics for each page and hand stitching EVERYTHING (darn you Chelsea!). The result is a precious book that Marina better never get dirty or lose any of the pieces to (yeah right!) and many fabulous memories with some of my favorite friends. Thanks Becky, Chels and Laura, oh and sorry about any remarks that may or may not have been made at one in the morning. :) So, here are a few of my favorite pages...



Merry Christmas Marina, you better love this book forever... or else!

13 comments:

Jeremy and Molly Horn said...

That is amazing. Good job. It looks great.

SugarHouse Mama said...

Wow. Good job! That's amazing! I HATE doing hand work. I'm all about the sewing machine, though.

Ryan, Natalie and kids said...

Holy crap that thing is amazing. I would never attempt it and I even like to sew. Way to go.

E Winzeler said...

It turned out so freekin cute!!!! You're one dedicated mommy, it is absolutely darling! Where did you guys get the pattern for it? It is by far the cutest one I have seen, I love it! You should feel so proud :)! Marina better not make a peep in sacrament meeting :)!

Mac and Dixie said...

So cute! I want to see all the pages though! You gals are amazing. If Marina doesn't appreciate it now, when she is all grown up passing it onto her own daughter she certainly will! I love it!
-Dixie

Keisel Family said...

What a ton of work, but so cute. I am sure that is something she will keep forever!

Christiansen's said...

I officially just finished mine just minutes ago. I can't wait to post about it. They turned out so cute!

ls said...

you don't happen to have an extra, oh, 127 hours on your hands do you? if you do, let me know because i will commission you to make on for my boy. :) i love it!

ls said...

*one

Jess and Derek said...

Wow you are crafty! I'm sad I didn't get to finally meet Marina last saturday... we had a family party. Hope you all had fun and things are going well!

Unknown said...

That is amazing! Where can we get one for Siena? You are so crafty!

Chelsea said...

That is so cute. I love that you stitched your message to Marina on it. I love your blog!

Dibble's said...

Curse that book! I HATE IT! Boston had better love it though!