So, after I got an invite to be facebook friends with my 50-something Bishop I decided it was time to jump on the bandwagon and join. I think I might be the last person on the planet to do so. I always assumed that facebook was for people looking for a relationship and definitely not for marrieds. But, after signing on last night I have found tons of my married and single friends. What is really crazy is that people I know from completely different times and places are somehow mysteriously connected. I find this intriguing. (Why is everyone in the world friends with Matt Anderson? I don't mean that in a rude way, Matt is great, but how does he know everyone?)
There are a couple of things that I find kind of disturbing about facebook. It appears to me that it is kind of a contest for who has the most friends. Some of my friends have 700-800 friends. Seriously? Who really has that many friends? I don't even know that many people. Am I destined to be a facebook loser?
There really is no point to this post, but I am wondering, what is the point of facebook? (Besides being entertaining and sucking up a large portion of my spare time today.) If there are any big facebook fans out there, please explain the phenomenon to me.
Also, please send me a friend invite :)
Good freaking bye 2024
1 year ago
12 comments:
i am fairly recent to facebook, too. and i don't really get into it (read: i don't change my status every 5 hours to let you know what i am currently doing. actually i have never changed my status once. it is just blank). i do like it for keeping in touch with people who don't have blogs, and it is good for sending a quick message or a group thread to a bunch of friends.
i'm with you on the craziness of adding random people just so it looks like you are popular. i think we graduated from high school in 2002.
but now that we're facebook friends maybe we'll actually get together once in awhile! i am all for a christmas get-together. plus, we still should go to lunch for your birthday.
p.s. funny about matt.
p.p.s. funny about you holding hands with my husband and me writing about it on my blog. when he read that he gave me a mad look :). and i said, "hey, it's not my fault you totally forced her to hold your hand!"
There are a lot of people still not on facebook (Dixie for one). What I like about facebook is tracking down people from all over the place that you never thought you'd see again when you move, change jobs, etc and keeping tabs on them. I've found friends from middle school I never thought I'd hear from again. What's nice is you can just see the updates that show up on your home page (like I'm blogging about facebook) and really easily and quickly stay in contact with people you just don't have time to hang out with or read their blog.
And I'm not into the whole "friend slut" thing as I call my sisters. They were always competing to see who had the most friends, but the more friends you have on there, the more updates you miss from your actual friends. I don't want updates from strangers so if I get invites from strangers or people I don't know that well, I don't accept them.
People get into games, causes, groups (there's a group for your ward). I got sent info on a fast last weekend for peace with the whole proposition 8 thing that was useful (and I forwarded to your bishop), but I haven't checked all that stuff people invite me too (except flair because I had to put up a Harry Potter is better than Twilight piece for tomorrow). People will send you invites to things all the times, but mostly I just like the updates and photos.
Hey, it's Jamilyn. I found your blog from Rachel's and I'm so glad. Your little girl is so dang cute! And I will say that I don't love Facebook, but it is interesting to see how many people you really do know and want to be your friend. You look great and have a beautiful little family.
ringinthebells.blogspot.com
Hi Kristi,
I don't get facebook at all! People are way into it, and I don't get it. I'm on it, but I rarely update or do anything on it. Once in a while i'll add some pictures, but besides that I hardly even get on. That is hillaious that Bishop Barsons is on it!
I love your family picture at the top of your blog! Your daughter is getting so big!
Clarification. If anyone is reading these comments, and wonders why I held my friend's husband's hand you should know that it was a long, long time ago. Also a time we would both rather forget. :)
I have to admit...I sign in under my sisters name and randomly find and catch up on old friends/flames. Pathetic huh?
Marina's birthday looked like so much fun...she beautiful! I love the new picture for your header, all 3 of you look perfect! Hope you guys are doing well!
Love Facebook! So glad we're friends...
So, I love your background and header! I need another lesson!
I am not a facebook girl. I feel like I can barely keep up to my blog. Just know that I am still your friend even if it is no on facebook! :-)
-Dixie
I just joined to keep in contact with my sister's fiance while she was on a study abroad...then all these random people sent me invites to be their friends. What does it mean to be a facebook friend? I don't know, but I don't get it either.
ha ha ha I am laughing very hard right now reading all these comments! Kristi... I hope I am never a "friend slut" as referenced by Annalisa... however, I am glad you are on Facebook. Thanks for coming to the get together, it was great to see your family. Tell Branden next time we play ball, i'll put it on the invite!
Post a Comment