Monday, January 21, 2008

Do Thumb Suckers Suck?


Marina's new favorite fascination is her thumb. She is not super coordinated, so she will spend a good ten minutes working to get her thumb into her mouth. Once it is there she goes to town sucking like crazy. Instead of balling up her hand into a fist, she spreads her other fingers out and explores her face while she is sucking on her thumb. Now, this probably makes me an awful mom, but I love love love to watch her do this. It is way too cute.


However, my grandmother and several others have warned me not to let Marina get into the habit of sucking her thumb. I kind of like the thumb sucking because she doesn't need me to get her a binki as often, but I guess thumb sucking is a harder habit to break. This is yet another issue that I am clueless on as a mom. What do you think? Let me know if you are pro or con and if you have any tips. Thanks!

9 comments:

Melinda said...

Neither of my boys did binkies or thumbs. My thinking is you can get rid of a binkie, you can't get rid of their thumb. It is a lot harder to break the habit and I also heard it messes up their teeth.

The Craners said...

Our little Caleb is a thumb sucker. It really only lasted for about 3 weeks. Just let her explore! She is just discovering her hands. The thumb sucking has come in handy now that he is teething, because he always has something to chew on when he needs it! I say let her go for it and if it becomes a habit you can deal with it when the time comes!

Mac and Dixie said...

So funny! BTW, I love your background -- I seriously need a photoshop lesson! From an orthodontic standpoint - just make sure the habit is taken care of by age 3 or 4 and you're fine! If she sucks longer, you know where to come for a little spikey mouthpiece! That is about all I can say, since I don't have any other experience...(lol)
-Dix

Wyatt and Tara said...

Sucking is a good thing for babies, but be careful that it doesn't get to be a hard habit to break- I had braces for 5 years mostly from thumb sucking!

Adele said...

Thumb sucking definitely is the harder one to break - but I have seen that it is sometimes just impossible to get a child NOT to suck their thumb. I would try to encourage the binki, but if you can't get her to stop, then I guess you just have a tougher battle in the end... Good luck!

annalisa said...

Oh the thumb binki dilemma. And people really are passionate about it. The thing is, if they're going to suck their thumbs, sometimes you can't stop it. Just maybe offer her the binki while she'll take it and hopefully it won't be an issue.

Angie said...

Hi Branden, this is Angie Haaga, so I emailed Beau's wife your email so you can get in touch with him. I don't know Beau, His wife Klorissa is a friend of mine from high school. I hope I helped, what a small world!
Angie

MegiJones said...

Mikah sucked her thumb for all of 2 weeks...Skyler, on the other hand, has sucked her thumb since birth and is now 9 months old, but she only sucks it when she sleeps. I was a big thumb sucker and yes I had to have braces, but I think most kids have to have braces for one reason or another anyway. The binkie is just as much of a pain to be addicted to as the thumb, I think. (Mikah ADORES her binkie and I am dreading the day we break her of it.) I guess since we let Skyler suck hers, I would say let her do what makes her happy...and it is darling!!

Anonymous said...

I have something nicer you can suck baby girl, nothing feels nicer than getting sucked off by a baby, I have had a few both girl an boy and can never last more than a couple of mins before icum in their mouth